FBA's Technical Committee is the largest and most active association committee. It includes representatives from fourteen member companies, with seven alternate representatives and more than 100 member company representatives receiving information copies of their ongoing work.
The FBA Technical Committee stays abreast of industry developments and regulations, and addresses all technical aspects to corrugated container manufacture, shipment and usage. This includes design and development of relevant projects, trials, and studies, as well as production and publication of associated technical literature, brochures, and documents. The Committee also works with regulatory and legislative agencies, promoting corrugated container usage and cooperating on development and dissemination of mutually beneficial packaging requirements.
The FBA Technical Committee is intended to be the action group for technical issues in the corrugated industry.
FBA members look to the association and the committee for answers to questions in a variety of technical areas. The committee responds to inquiries on hazardous materials, test methods, standards development and certification requirements.
The Technical Committee actively participates with a wide variety of organizations including the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) section of the US Department of Transportation (DOT), the Chemical Packaging Committee of the Institute of Packaging Professionals (IoPP), Packaging Machinery Manufacturing Institute (PMMI), American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM), International Safe Transit Association (ISTA), National Motor Freight Traffic Association (NMFTA), Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI), and the American National Standards Institute's Material Handling Committee (ANSI MH10).
- Posted Hazmat training online
- Created supplemental information for changes to ORM-D/Limited Quantity Regulations and added Security Awareness Training
- Established a food packaging page of resources on the CPA website
- Worked successfully with PHMSA to turn the basis weight tolerance into a formal rule within the Department of Transportation's (DOT) Hazardous Materials Regulations
- Completed revisions and postings for all current Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and implemented a process to address new additions to this member tool
- Began revising text for a future edition of the Fibre Box Handbook
- Updated the Institute of Packaging Professionals (IoPP) Fundamentals of Packaging Technology textbook chapter on corrugated packaging
- Revised administrative changes to the Voluntary Standard for Recyclable Wax Alternatives: The Voluntary Standard for Repulping and Recycling Corrugated Fiberboard Treated to Improve Its Performance in the Presence of Water and Water Vapor
Have a Technical Question?
FBA is here to help! Members of Fibre Box Association (FBA) receive exclusive access to FBA's Technical FAQ section. The Technical FAQ section is a collection of answers, researched and written by FBA's technical experts, to a variety of technical questions relating to the corrugated industry.
Click here to find frequently asked technical questions – or ask a new question!